Sunday 18 May 2008

The Beautiful Evening At Durvasa Mandir,Mathura [10th March'08]

The Beautiful Evening At Durvasa Mandir,Mathura [10th March'08] 

We reached Mathura in the morning,a few hours after dawn.
A quick rest and I decided to take a nice boat ride on the serenely flowing Yamuna. Here, people use the old form of boating with oars instead of machine boats. It is backed by a strong belief that using a modern boat  on sacred Yamuna  would hurt their religious  sentiments.

My mother and I decided to explore the opposite bank of Yamuna from Vishram Ghat. Another reason was  to visit the beautiful "SRIDURVASA MANDIR." Daddy wanted to spend time peacefully on Vishram Ghat. On our way to Sri Durvasa Mandir,  we first visited the small  Shiva temple & Devi temple. It was an open temple with a huge Shivalinga covered with a roof . A temple less fequented by tourists. Only some locals and sadhus dotted the lush green area which resembled a  beautiful nikunj. Just beside the temple under a huge tree there was a naga sadhu with matted long hair, dark skinned and robust. He squatted on a round platform made of mud around a tree, delivering a spiritual lecture. What impressed me was that the naga sadhu was oblivious of his surroundings. He was unperturbed as I took his snap and continued to be deeply engrossed in his speech. I found a small cowshed with two or three cows and calves behind the temple. I bowed to them as we headed to our destination. It is amidst a vast expanse of thick jungle.
 This side of the bank was covered with a carpet of lush green grasses. I noticed a cow grazing far off, ducks swimming ,in between the small isles of the Jumna, parrots fluttering in the sky, sparrows freely chirping and the cuckoos were singing on top of their voices as if entertaining the PRINCE OF BRINDAVAN -LORD KRISHNA!!!
For a brief moment I was transported to those days of Krishna's leelas. I was ecstatic and speechless.  I was slowly taking my steps as I wanted to cherish the precious moments - the moments of Braj!! 

Lord Krishna & all His pastimes were flashing before my mind & I felt as if that naughty Krishna & the coy and extremely beautiful Radha were watching me from some hidden place & showering me with their blessings. We had to go through a small hamlet, which was the resident of all boatmen.  
I was awestruck to encounter the extreme simplicity of the village. All the houses had no electricity but old fashioned lanterns & diyas. Children were poorly dressed ,yet they seemed to be much satisfied and happy in their play with the little goats and calves, who also comprised their family. They seemed to be more innocent and appeased than our city children.  Inspite of the absence of the bleakest  touch of modern necessities ,these simple folks were smiling , cheerful and at peace. 
I wondered how many of urbanites like me could live without our tv, mobiles. computers / laptops and all other modern contraptions, without which we seem to feel handicapped.

The Durvasa Mandir is perched at a small height.  Pretty n clean erected stairs lead you to the grand entrance of the temple. It is guarded by the lovely idol of Lord Hanuman on the top. I learnt that this temple was erected by "GAUDIYA VAISHNAVAS." The temple was empty and is not that frequently visited by pilgrims since its inside the village.
The temple ground was really vast. There were small temples which had idols of Sri Durvasa, Sri Radha, Sri Krishna and Rukmini. All depicting leelas relating to SriDurvasa Munni with Sri Krishna. The deities Of Radha and Krishna were dressed in yellow robes & their eyes shone like twinkling grey stars. 
There was only one gaudiya vaishnav saint who was inside the temple. I noticed a sadhvi with her rosary and a dainty Vaishnav tilak that decorated her forehead. 
As I looked at her she greeted me with a smile.

 I could see the entire village from the temple, and I was spellbound as I saw the trees around full of peacocks flying from one branch to another.
We roamed around and we bade a farewell to the temple. Soon, back in our boat we proceeded towards Vishram Ghat. Just in time to  attend the Yamuna aarti. I enjoyed the serene beauty of Sri Yamuna Maharani in the dusk.







4 comments:

Rajni said...

this is a wonder piece of writing...u almost took me to the temple I felt as if i'm there with u in the entire visit. good keep posting u r piligrimage experiences!! Hare Krishna

krishnadaasi said...

Thankyou Rajni.

Unknown said...

Your Love to Krishna is speechless.
I may be the poor begger in the knowledge of Krishna's History.
Since i minds more about what makes Krish more happy only...
No God said pray for me or live with in that only.
Krishna is to me nice Friend only.
I loves to be him like Friend only.
Never i treats him as God.
And the essence of God i finds in the real help & right service to the
required help people around me.
And God or Dog is same with words changing at the places.Since, both are having 1 good nature. That is "Trust".

krishnadaasi said...

🙏🙏🙏🙏🌷